The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Adopting an Agenda

Shawn

If we adopt an agenda at the beginning of the meeting, can a board member add an agenda item after all agenda topics are addressed? For example, on our upcoming agenda we have a few old business items listed and two New Business items listed. After the two business items the next item on the agenda is Adjournment. After we address the two New Business items can someone make a make a Motion on something that went to move?

The member can move to amend the agenda, which is a motion to amend something previously adopted and requires a 2/3 vote or a majority of the entire membership. Alternatively, he could move to amend the agenda before it is adopted, to add his business item, which will require only a majority vote. Or, if your board meets quarterly or more often, RONR recommends against adopting an agenda in the first place.

40 minutes ago, Joshua Katz said:

The member can move to amend the agenda, which is a motion to amend something previously adopted and requires a 2/3 vote or a majority of the entire membership. Alternatively, he could move to amend the agenda before it is adopted, to add his business item, which will require only a majority vote. Or, if your board meets quarterly or more often, RONR recommends against adopting an agenda in the first place.

We meet monthly. We were thinking about adopting an agenda because we found too often that we would go off topic and not get to items listed on our agenda. I realize that is more of an issue with the Chair not keeping order. Someone mentioned adopting agenda.

Adopting an agenda means that the items (clear motions, one trusts) listed in the agenda become special or general orders - page 371.

Once all the general orders are disposed of, any member can bring up a new motion - this is  part of "New Business".  At this point things can go on as long as the members put up with it.

So adopting an agenda gives the agenda items higher priority that really new business.

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner
25 minutes ago, jstackpo said:

Once all the general orders are disposed of, any member can bring up a new motion - this is  part of "New Business".  At this point things can go on as long as the members put up with it.

What if the last item on the adopted agenda is adjournment? Doesn't that preclude the possibility of bringing up business not on the agenda?

14 minutes ago, Guest Who's Coming to Dinner said:

What if the last item on the adopted agenda is adjournment? Doesn't that preclude the possibility of bringing up business not on the agenda?

No, not as I understand RONR and previous threads on this topic. RONR and the authorship team are consistent in saying that unless the organization has a rule to the contrary, even with an adopted agenda, new business which is not on the agenda may indeed be introduced from the floor at the conclusion of the other business. New business which is not on the agenda may be introduced from the floor during new business unless the organization has a rule to the contrary.

When the chair announces the hour, any member can move to reschedule the time for recess or adjournment, or to extend the time of considering the pending question for a specified period. These motions are undebatable and require a two-thirds vote; see also pages 232 and 241.

RONR, 11th edition, page 374, lines 17-20.

• 2 years later...

This is all confusing  but not answering my question .

I would like to ask who makes the motion to adopt the agenda? 

Also after the treasurer gives their report , does the treasurer make the motion to accept the report ? 

10 minutes ago, Guest Guest Lucy said:

This is all confusing  but not answering my question .

I would like to ask who makes the motion to adopt the agenda? 

Also after the treasurer gives their report , does the treasurer make the motion to accept the report ? 

Question # 1: Any member can make the motion to adopt the agenda. However, it is normally handled by unanimous consent. Once it appears there are no more changes, the chair will usually ask “is there any objection to adopting the agenda?” If there are no objections than the chair declares the agenda adopted.

Question # 2: there should not be a motion to accept or approve the treasurers report. Once the treasurer gives his report, nothing else should be done. The chair simply thanks the treasurer and then calls for the next report.  It is the same with all other reports, unless the report contains a recommendation to do something which will be put forward in the form of a motion.

Guest Lucy,  I don’t see where you asked a question in this thread. In the future, if you have a new question, even if it seems related to an existing topic, please post it by starting a new topic.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.