The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Request for vote by ballot

Guest Rick D

3 hours ago, Guest Rick D said:

In a small group when voting on an election of officers can a delegate request that the vote be taken by ballot

would the chair then be obligated to conducted by ballot?

I would first check whether your bylaws say anything on this matter. It is quite common for the bylaws to provide that the election of officers shall be by ballot vote. If this is the case, a ballot vote is required whether or not a delegate requests it. Since this appears to be a convention, it may be prudent to check the convention standing rules as well.

If your rules are silent on this subject, I concur with Dr. Stackpole, although I would note that RONR still recommends a ballot vote for the election of officers (unless a candidate is running unopposed).

Edited by Josh Martin

2 hours ago, Josh Martin said:

Since this appears to be a convention, it may be prudent to check the convention standing rules as well.

Not that it matters much, but where do you see that this is a convention?  Guest Rick D specifically said it's "a small group".  However, he also referred to "a delegate".  So, maybe.... and maybe not.  It's somewhat contradictory language.   Perhaps it's a very small convention.  :)

19 hours ago, Richard Brown said:

Not that it matters much, but where do you see that this is a convention?  Guest Rick D specifically said it's "a small group".  However, he also referred to "a delegate".  So, maybe.... and maybe not.  It's somewhat contradictory language.   Perhaps it's a very small convention.  :)

Yes, the reference to a “delegate” was why I suspected it might be a convention.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.