The Official RONR Q & A Forums

what is definition of special resolution

smastiff

2 hours ago, Atul Kapur said:

It sounds like your group is incorporated. . . . 

Atul, I'm curious: what is it about the original post that makes you think this group is incorporated? They might well be incorporated, but I don't see anything that specifically indicates that they are.

As to the term "special resolution", more information would be helpful. If the term is not defined in their bylaws or controlling state law, I would take it to be simply a fancy term for an ordinary resolution or motion.

7 hours ago, smastiff said:

What is a special resolution . . A board director can only be removed by special resolution , What is a special resolution.

A group of  members are making a motion that the entire board or directors be replaced .  Not one but the entire board. 

Please quote for us the exact language of your bylaws regarding the removal of a director. Don't paraphrase, but quote the provision exactly.

2 minutes ago, smastiff said:

Thank you , it appears after reading the provincial society act, a special resolution means a 2/3 vote. 

Are you sure that is the definition of a special resolution? That sounds to me like the requirement to adopt a special resolution, but not the definition of a special resolution.

4 minutes ago, smastiff said:

We are a non profit society .

But, are you Incorporated? I have belonged to several non-profit organizations which are not Incorporated. In the United States, at least, an organization does not need to be incorporated in order to be considered non-profit.

14 hours ago, Richard Brown said:

Atul, I'm curious: what is it about the original post that makes you think this group is incorporated?

Richard, it's because the language below is almost an exact quote from Corporation Acts I have reviewed.

21 hours ago, smastiff said:

A board director can only be removed by special resolution ,

Those Acts also say that a special resolution requires a 2/3 vote to pass. And, rather than defining what constitutes a special resolution, they say which actions require a special resolution (e.g. removing a board director).

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.