The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Improper motion

Guest Smastiff

A member has posted a request to present a motion as worded below.

"I move to dissolve this executive".

Can the chair refuse this motion as improper.

He is requesting that the entire board of directors be replaced. There is a general meeting next week , and then  Elections AGM are a month from now. There was a disturbance where some directors quit. The ones quitting are not happy with the directors left so wish the entire board of directors to be replaced.

Our Constitution and the BC Society act require the replacement of a director to be by a special resolution which is a two-thirds vote. But I find nothing where an entire board of directors could be dissolved

How can this be fought 

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner

The only meaning of "dissolve" under Robert's Rules is to abolish an organization. Let's assume your member is actually moving to remove all directors from office. Do your bylaws allow directors to remove other directors? If they don't, then yes, the motion is improper because it conflicts with the bylaws.

I suspect the only way to "dissolve" the entire board of directors is to rescind or amend the organization's bylaws.

It MIGHT be possible to remove all of the remaining directors by following the provisions in the bylaws, but this strikes me as a dangerous thing to do. The organization will need to elect new directors quickly

4 hours ago, Hieu H. Huynh said:

Perhaps FAQ #20 may help.

Not really, since if the society has its own rules on removal (which it does), FAQ #20 just says to follow those rules.

6 hours ago, Guest Smastiff said:

Our Constitution and the BC Society act require the replacement of a director to be by a special resolution which is a two-thirds vote. But I find nothing where an entire board of directors could be dissolved

It is up to your organization to interpret its own bylaws, and questions about applicable law should be directed to a lawyer. It may be that these rules permit multiple directors (even all of them) to be removed by a single “special resolution,” or it may be that a separate special resolution is required for each director. I have no idea - this forum is for answering questions about RONR, not the BC Society Act or your society’s constitution.

1 hour ago, Josh Martin said:

It may be that these rules permit multiple directors (even all of them) to be removed by a single “special resolution,” or it may be that a separate special resolution is required for each director

If it is allowed as a single motion, it should be in order to move to Divide the Question to have a separate motion and vote on the removal of each director individually. 

Your decision as to whether you wish to do this (would it make it easier or more difficult to get the results you want?)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.