The Official RONR Q & A Forums

motions to extend the time

Cuibono

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner
Just now, Guest Who's Coming to Dinner said:

You could adopt (or amend, if you already have) a standing rule setting a longer limit which is more appropriate to the needs of this assembly. Then you won't waste time with motions to extend it.

*special rule of order, not standing rule

15 minutes ago, Cuibono said:
  • Darn it!  my organization keeps making at least 2 motions to extend the time per topic.  It seems a bit much, anything else I should advise?

Start out with more time for each time. Or you can vote no on the motions to extend (and, prior to the meeting, encourage others to think about doing so as well). 

You might also want to get to the root issue of why so much time is needed. Are people not coming in with fully-cooked motions? Consider making motions to refer, postpone, or otherwise get them perfected. Are people grandstanding and speaking when there's no persuasive value to what they're saying? Well, if they want to do that, there's no much you can do, except consider restricting who can attend your meetings so that grandstanding has less of a payoff (assuming this is a board meeting of some sort). In other words, figure out why there's so much talking relative to doing.

58 minutes ago, Cuibono said:
  • Darn it!  my organization keeps making at least 2 motions to extend the time per topic.  It seems a bit much, anything else I should advise?

What are the regular time limits you are imposing? The rule in RONR is two speeches (of not more than ten minutes each) per member per day on any one motion. This is usually more than enough.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.