The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Running board meeting as VP

Guest Derek M

Hello,

i have to run a meeting as the VP due to the president resigning.  The first order of business will be elections.  When the new president is elected will he/she immediately take over the chair or will I have to continue running the meeting until it is adjourned?

thanks for your help.

15 hours ago, Guest Derek M said:

Hello,

i have to run a meeting as the VP due to the president Derek, resigning.  The first order of business will be elections.  When the new president is elected will he/she immediately take over the chair or will I have to continue running the meeting until it is adjourned?

thanks for your help.

Guest Derek, I have a question. You referred to having to conduct elections, plural. Is this meeting your regular election meeting where you will be electing all officers or is this a special election just to fill a vacancy?

I believe the answers so far are based upon our assumption that you actually are the president and became the president instantaneously upon the resignation of the previous president and that you are merely filling a vacancy in the office of Vice President at this meeting.

However, if this is your regular election of officers, then the new president may or may not take over immediately upon his election. The answer to that question may depend upon your bylaws. Unless your bylaws provide otherwise, elections take effect immediately, instantly, and the new president might indeed take over immediately upon his election.

So, if this is a regular election, check your bylaws. They will generally provide for when the new officers take over, such as upon adjournment of the meeting or at some future date.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.