The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Newbie question.

Maui Mark

Thanks so much for the help.

So if he can, how does he obtain the floor when the chair won't recognize him because he has already spoken twice? Point of order doesn't seem right, since the chair is making a decision to ignore this person based on knowledge at hand and the chair cannot read his mind to know why he wants the floor. So the chair just continues to call on other people who  are just reinforcing other people's points using slightly different words. Time to bring this to a vote and move on. Can he stand and say something like, "Mr. Chair, I would like to make a motion. Will you recognize me?" Or would that be out of order? 

First off, the chair should recognize him. If the chair knows that he has already spoken twice, the chair might inquire "for what reason does the member seek recognition?"

But if the chair continues to ignore the member, the member can and should raise a point of order that he has been seeking recognition for the purpose of making a proper motion which is not subject to the two speech rule. He could even say I rise to move the previous question which is a proper motion even after having spoken twice in debate.

If the chair rules that doing so would be out of water order, he may appeal the ruling of the chair.

Edited by Richard Brown
Typographical correction as indicated. Changed water to order

49 minutes ago, Maui Mark said:

"I rise to move the previous question." That's it! That's the one! Many mahalos for the advice. And yes, he is an annoying little fish in a mighty ocean of control issues. Many thanks again.

Good! Hope it helps! Note of caution, though. Be prepared to appeal from the ruling of the chair and have as many fellow members as possible lined up to support you. You need at least one other member to second your motion. Catching people by surprise rarely works. Be prepared to order your appeal based on Robert's Rules.

• 2 months later...

I have been in organizations where the chair always asks for the reason that a member seeks the floor, unless there is a formal signalling system in place to indicate if a member wishes to speak for or against a motion, or for some other cause.  Rather than a delay, it actually seems to keep things moving clearly.

11 hours ago, Guest Nathan Zook said:

I have been in organizations where the chair always asks for the reason that a member seeks the floor, unless there is a formal signalling system in place to indicate if a member wishes to speak for or against a motion, or for some other cause.  Rather than a delay, it actually seems to keep things moving clearly.

It is quite common, and appropriate, for the chair to ask "For what purpose does the member seek recognition?"  I would say it would be unusual, and probably not appropriate, for the chair to ALWAYS ask every member "For what purpose do you seek recognition"?   It is, however, proper for the chair to ask members if they intend to speak for or against the pending motion so that he can alternate pro-and con speakers as much as possible as recommended by RONR.

At times when it would not appear to be in order to seek recognition on a pending question, or to make a new main motion, the chair can and should ask "For what purpose...?"  It is better than simply recognizing the member and then having to interrupt when it becomes apparent that the speaker is off on some tangent that's inappropriate to the parliamentary situation.

In the middle of debate on a motion, it would presumably be unnecessary, as it may safely be assumed that those seeking recognition are doing so in support of or opposition to the pending question, or to offer an amendment or make some other appropriate motion.

2 hours ago, Gary Novosielski said:

At times when it would not appear to be in order to seek recognition on a pending question, or to make a new main motion, the chair can and should ask "For what purpose...?"  It is better than simply recognizing the member and then having to interrupt when it becomes apparent that the speaker is off on some tangent that's inappropriate to the parliamentary situation.

Interesting. I spent several years as the chair of a board which met monthly, which also involved chairing the annual convention, and chaired a rather contentious committee, and I think I might have used the phrase "for what purpose does the member rise?" 2 or 3 times. 

The local custom was to adopt special rules that required alternation in debate, and to permit only one speech per motion.  Thus, even during general debate, "for what purpose" was relevant to keep the rules while still permitting a member who had already spoken ready access to their rights to make a subsidiary motion.

Every body has its own history.  What works fine for one group might sound excessive or rude to another.  In my particular case, the county party had gone through a period of more than a decade of acrimony (before I entered) which was followed by a decade of fiercely contested actions (which I participated in).

In a less contentious body, I would not be surprised if such formalities would give offence.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.