The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Removal of an Appointed Position

Thomas

Any advice for having the conversation on changing an appointed position?

On our board we have two smaller roles which are appointed by the President. Taking over the presidency soon, I will be changing one of these roles. I know the current appointee will most likely not be happy about this change.

Do I make it quick? Clean cut version: "Thank you for everything you have done, I am going in a different direction."  Or should I be more sincere?  Being more sincere will lead to the appointee not going quietly, I already know. Either way it will not be easy.

Any advice will be great.

Edited by Thomas

You know the players better than we do (we don't know them at all).  I think it ultimately depends on the personalities involved and how well they get along with you.  Maybe they would see the writing on the wall and appreciate you saying thank you and we are moving on without dragging it out.  Or maybe they will not let it go until you tell them flat out what the problem is.  You would know better than us. 

As for this person not going quietly is there anyone who this person likes/respects who can help you smooth things out so the transition can happen more easily?

Edited by Chris Harrison

This isn't really a parliamentary question, so all I can do is offer my personal advice, which comes from a slightly different context: hiring and firing. I'm assuming by 'sincere' you mean going through the person's faults one by one and explaining why you are replacing them. I would go with the first version. Your job is to fill the position, not mentor the person leaving in preparation for his next job. 

1 hour ago, Thomas said:

You think?   Our meeting's are set on Wednesdays, so early in the week have a sit down?

When are you planning on making the changes?  I'd recommend you talk to them before that otherwise they will very likely be upset that you didn't warn them first.

I do not think anyone is running against me, but I won't know for sure until the February meeting. It is at that meeting that I will officially become President. I was thinking right after that meeting only because I don't have any authority to tell her we are going in a different direction with that position.   I've held supervisor positions, I know this conversation is not easy. I also know there's going to be a meltdown. Trying to best handle it, directly after that meeting when I have the authority, maybe meet up later in the week. Do I sit down with a one on one, do I have a group setting. My gut is telling me to pull her aside after the meeting and have a brief discussion and just nip it then. Deal with the social media fall out which I am sure she will go to and blast myself and the org, but, I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner
On 12/27/2018 at 10:55 AM, Thomas said:

Do I make it quick? Clean cut version: "Thank you for everything you have done, I am going in a different direction."  Or should I be more sincere? 

Your only duty is to announce the new appointment at a meeting so it is known to the members and recorded in the minutes. How you break it to Ms. Meltdown has nothing to do with parliamentary procedure.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.