The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board of Directors

Larry

Board member resignation is not covered in my organizations By-Laws.  When does it become effective?

Also, does the resignation letter itself need to be entered into the minutes?  My concern is that there are some mistruths and inaccuracies presented, and while I don't want to obstruct, I do not want this entered into record as much of it is not true.

8 minutes ago, Hieu H. Huynh said:

It is effective when it is accepted by the body authorized to accept resignations.

To elaborate on that, the body authorized to accept resignations is the body which is authorized to fill vacancies. If the bylaws are silent on filling vacancies, they are filled by the body which elected the position in the first place. Additionally, if the bylaws grant the board full power and authority to act for the society between meetings of the society’s membership, this includes the authority to fill vacancies unless the bylaws provide otherwise.

13 minutes ago, Larry said:

Also, does the resignation letter itself need to be entered into the minutes?  My concern is that there are some mistruths and inaccuracies presented, and while I don't want to obstruct, I do not want this entered into record as much of it is not true.

No, the letter itself does not need to be (and should not be) entered in the minutes, whether or not it contains mistruths or inaccuracies. The minutes are a record of what was done, not what was said.

15 hours ago, Larry said:

Agreeing with my colleagues, the letter itself normally should not be entered in the minutes, but probably should be kept on file by the secretary for some period of time along with other important correspondence.   That is a policy matter for your organization to determine.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.