The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Newly Created Position

Deb Parm

Our Board of Directors has approved the creation of a Recording Secretary position. The position will be appointed by the President, and ratified by the Board of Directors. Our bylaws state the the Board of Directors can create any position deemed necessary.  In our policy manual, vacancies in the Executive Secretary and Treasure positions must be 'advertised', appointed by the President and ratified by the board.

The question is whether the new position must be 'advertised' to the membership or if the president can pick someone. Is a newly created position 'vacant'?

Edited by Deb Parm

44 minutes ago, Deb Parm said:

The question is whether the new position must be 'advertised' to the membership or if the president can pick someone. Is a newly created position 'vacant'?

It is ultimately up to your organization to interpret its own bylaws. We cannot do that for you. My own interpretation, which is just my personal view as I don't really have any say in the matter, is that the advertising requirements for the position of executive secretary and treasurer do not apply to this newly created position of recording secretary. Your members might well have a contrary opinion and it is the opinion of your members that counts.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.