The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Using Ratify to amend the Bylaws

Chris Harrison

I was reading this thread and I had an idea but didn't want to tack it on in case it wasn't an option (most likely won't be) and give the OP ideas.

Assuming the impossibility of obtaining a quorum was the only problem preventing them from amending the Bylaws would it be "proper" for them to amend them at the inquorate meeting creating a quorum and then immediately ratify that action making everything legitimate?  My guess is this would be a little too slick to actually work but I'm still tossing it out to see if it sticks.

There might be no other way...

Or, argue like this:  Since a quorum is used to obtain a "representative sample" of the membership, if ALL the membership is there, there is no problem with a "sample".  So go ahead and amend to your heart's content as long as everybody (not always easy to do, unless it is a smallish board) shows up.  This comports with RONR's default bylaw amendment rule (page 581) allowing that a "majority of the entire membership" with notice can amend bylaws. It also comports with the page 264 rule that one can suspend a rule protecting absentees at a meeting where everybody (i.e., NO absentees) is there. 

2 hours ago, Chris Harrison said:

I was reading this thread and I had an idea but didn't want to tack it on in case it wasn't an option (most likely won't be) and give the OP ideas.

Assuming the impossibility of obtaining a quorum was the only problem preventing them from amending the Bylaws would it be "proper" for them to amend them at the inquorate meeting creating a quorum and then immediately ratify that action making everything legitimate?  My guess is this would be a little too slick to actually work but I'm still tossing it out to see if it sticks.

No.

46 minutes ago, jstackpo said:

Or, argue like this:  Since a quorum is used to obtain a "representative sample" of the membership, if ALL the membership is there, there is no problem with a "sample".  So go ahead and amend to your heart's content as long as everybody (not always easy to do, unless it is a smallish board) shows up.  This comports with RONR's default bylaw amendment rule (page 581) allowing that a "majority of the entire membership" with notice can amend bylaws. It also comports with the page 264 rule that one can suspend a rule protecting absentees at a meeting where everybody (i.e., NO absentees) is there. 

Yes, this is acceptable, provided that the board has the power to set its own quorum requirement (such as by amending the bylaws).

Rules protecting absentees cannot be suspended, even by unanimous consent or an actual unanimous vote, because the absentees do not consent to such suspension. For example, the rules requiring the presence of a quorum, restricting business transacted at a special meeting to that mentioned in the call of the meeting, and requiring previous notice of a proposed amendment to the bylaws protect absentees, if there are any, and cannot be suspended when any member is absent.” (RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 263-264)

”An elected or appointed body that lacks the authority to determine its own quorum may not suspend the quorum requirement, even if all members are present.” (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 264, footnote)

See also this thread for further discussion of this issue.

Edited by Josh Martin

2 hours ago, Chris Harrison said:

Assuming that notice was needed, no.  I would treat a motion ratify a bylaw amendment as having to meet any notice requirements needed to amend the bylaws.

Even if notice was not required, I would question if the assembly could ratify something that it could not have adopted at that particular meeting.

Edited by J. J.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.