The Official RONR Q & A Forums

wording in bylaws to state use of RRO

Guest sharon

2 hours ago, Josh Martin said:

In practice, I am extremely doubtful that the vast majority of societies would remember to do this, and some sixty-odd years later the society now has as its parliamentary authority an edition which is long out of print and no one can find the society’s copy.

Had you been a member of some organizations I have been a part of, you'd also expect that the proposal to make this change would be met with conspiracy theories about people trying to take over.

On 2/22/2019 at 5:51 PM, Joshua Katz said:

Had you been a member of some organizations I have been a part of, you'd also expect that the proposal to make this change would be met with conspiracy theories about people trying to take over.

Okay, now I KNOW you've been to some of our meetings...

On 2/22/2019 at 5:08 PM, Josh Martin said:

and some sixty-odd years later the society now has as its parliamentary authority an edition which is long out of print and no one can find the society’s copy.

I think that assuming the society itself ever had its own copy of its parliamentary authority, rather than relying on some member's copy, might be a leap of faith in and of itself. 

On 2/22/2019 at 4:08 PM, Josh Martin said:

It is all well and good to suggest that if a society was to include a specific edition in its bylaws, there would be no real harm because it could be resolved by “one single meeting to change one single sentence once every ten years,” and if this were to actually occur, I suppose this would be perfectly fine.

In practice, I am extremely doubtful that the vast majority of societies would remember to do this, and some sixty-odd years later the society now has as its parliamentary authority an edition which is long out of print and no one can find the society’s copy.

I concur.  According to our bylaws an organization I belong to uses "Robert's Rules of Order, Revised" and IIRC there was some discussion here over what edition our current parliamentary authority is.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.