The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Changing our constitution

Pres1973

Our AGM is fast approaching and on our board in the last couple of years we have members who regularly miss meetings.

I am looking to add verbiage to the constitution to deal with missing members. I.E. (after missing 3 meetings a member can be voted off the board by a 50% vote of the executive)

Can some one point me to a bylaw I can reference?

thanks

20 minutes ago, Pres1973 said:

Our AGM is fast approaching and on our board in the last couple of years we have members who regularly miss meetings.

I am looking to add verbiage to the constitution to deal with missing members. I.E. (after missing 3 meetings a member can be voted off the board by a 50% vote of the executive)

thanks

RONR offers no suggestions for this type of situation.

18 minutes ago, Pres1973 said:

Is it board members or general members who are missing these meetings?   Do you even have a membership as such, or only a board?

19 minutes ago, Pres1973 said:

Not off the top of my head, but stay tuned and keep checking back.  Someone may post some sample language.  It's not that unusual a provision.  There is no such language in the sample bylaws in RONR.  If you do add such a provision, I urge you to proceed slowly and cautiously and to have several people critically review the proposed language.  Hastily adopted language too often leads to interpretation issues and unintended consequences.  Don't rush into it!  

32 minutes ago, Pres1973 said:

I hope you mean a majority vote, and not a 50% vote, which is less than a majority.  Frankly, I hope you mean a 2/3 vote which is normally the minimum for removing anyone from anywhere.

Apparently you have a board and an "executive".  But since executive as a noun means a person, I assume that here, the executive is a group.  So the question is executive what?  board?  committee? washroom?  What is the relationship between it and the board and the general membership?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.