The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Presidential term limit up, and no volunteer for next term.

Guest Gale

Some options

- plan ahead to give notice to amend the bylaws to remove the term limit (no, you cannot just suspend this rule that's in the bylaws),

- start beating the bushes to find someone willing to stand,

- wait for nominations from the floor,

- conduct a ballot vote and hope for a write-in to win (and to accept), or

- start planning to wind up the organization

7 minutes ago, Joshua Katz said:

Am I the only one missing the term limit in the paraphrase of the term of office?

Don't think so, but the exact bylaw provision might contain the magic "or until..." phrase which would keep the sitting president in office past is/her allotted two years.  So we should look at the bylaw provision before answering the OP's question definitively.

On 2/25/2019 at 1:26 AM, Guest Gale said:

Our president's term is for 2 years. The current president's term will end in Dec 2019. What happens if no one is willing to fill the position except the current president? 

On 2/25/2019 at 3:19 AM, jstackpo said:

What do the bylaws say about the term in office?  Exact and complete quote of the bylaw provision, please.

9 hours ago, Guest Gale said:

"The President may not serve more than two consecutive years as president."

Guest Gale, you are being very stingy with providing us with the bylaw language and facts we need.  And what you have posted is rather confusing.  Your first post leads us to believe that the term of office of the president is two years and that his two-year term is ending.  But, your quote from the bylaw language makes it appear that the term of  office is perhaps only one year (although nothing you have  posted actually says that) and the president is limited to two one-year terms.  There is a difference.

Do I assume correctly that the president's term of office is actually one year, the president may not serve more than two consecutive terms, and the current president is actually completing his second consecutive one-year term?

9 hours ago, Nathan Zook said:

Ooh!  Ooh!  I've got a bad idea!  Find someone to agree to the following:  be elected, and inaugurated as president.  This breaks the presidency of the incumbent.  Now the new guy resigns.  The body then votes the now current, then previous president in as the new new president.

That might work, but I'm sure the counter-argument will be that serving less than half a term does not count as a term and that therefore electing the former president to a new term would violate the term limit provision unless he sits out at least half of a full term.... six months, if I'm understanding things correctly.  I don't know that sitting out the presidency for just a few days or weeks will work.  But, it's ultimately up  to this organization to interpret its own bylaws, so, who knows. . . .  :unsure:

And, there is one more rather major complication to the scenario you proposed:  When the newly elected "temporary" president resigns, the vice president will become president.  There will not be a vacancy in the presidency to fill.  The vacancy will be in the office of the vice president. 

But, if the current outgoing president is willing to be elected as vice president, and then shortly after the new terms begin the new president resigns, well,  . . . .

It's  too early in the morning for me to figure that out.  

The elections are apparently still months away.  They should just amend the bylaws to get rid of the term limit provision if they don't like having it.  They could even make the change effective for only one specified term if they so desire and then hope that they don't wind up in the same situation at the end of  that next year. And they can consider the other options Dr. Kapur suggested in the very first response.

14 hours ago, Richard Brown said:

That might work, but I'm sure the counter-argument will be that serving less than half a term does not count as a term and that therefore electing the former president to a new term would violate the term limit provision unless he sits out at least half of a full term.... six months, if I'm understanding things correctly.  I don't know that sitting out the presidency for just a few days or weeks will work.  But, it's ultimately up  to this organization to interpret its own bylaws, so, who knows. . . .  :unsure:

And, there is one more rather major complication to the scenario you proposed:  When the newly elected "temporary" president resigns, the vice president will become president.  There will not be a vacancy in the presidency to fill.  The vacancy will be in the office of the vice president. 

But, if the current outgoing president is willing to be elected as vice president, and then shortly after the new terms begin the new president resigns, well,  . . . .

It's  too early in the morning for me to figure that out.  

The elections are apparently still months away.  They should just amend the bylaws to get rid of the term limit provision if they don't like having it.  They could even make the change effective for only one specified term if they so desire and then hope that they don't wind up in the same situation at the end of  that next year. And they can consider the other options Dr. Kapur suggested in the very first response.

Now, now.  We're talking bylaws, not the US Constitution.... :P

I did say it was a bad idea, right?

Do I assume correctly that the president's term of office is actually one year, the president may not serve more than two consecutive terms, and the current president is actually completing his second consecutive one-year term?

Yes,  You are correct. I apologize for being unclear.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.