The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Suspension of the Constitution and Bylaws

Guest Genesis

Can a motion be made to suspend (or place a "hold") the constitution and bylaws of a Student Government Association? We generally don't meet quorum (we're working on that), but say we do, if it's absolutely necessary for this motion to be put in place, is it possible? How can I word that? I'll be trying to find as much information as I can before the General Assembly Meeting this next Wednesday.

2 minutes ago, Guest Genesis said:

Can a motion be made to suspend (or place a "hold") the constitution and bylaws of a Student Government Association?

No.

It might be possible to suspend particular rules in the constitution and bylaws, if they are in the nature of rules of order or provide for their own suspension, but it certainly is not in order to suspend them in their entirety. 

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

15 minutes ago, Guest Genesis said:

Can a motion be made to suspend (or place a "hold") the constitution and bylaws of a Student Government Association? We generally don't meet quorum (we're working on that), but say we do, if it's absolutely necessary for this motion to be put in place, is it possible? How can I word that? I'll be trying to find as much information as I can before the General Assembly Meeting this next Wednesday.

No. Neither the constitution nor the bylaws may be suspended.

If it's absolutely necessary for a motion to be put in place, and  you have a quorum, what's the problem?  I.e., what rule in the bylaws would prevent this motion from being made?  It may be possible in some situations to suspend individual rules if they provide for their own suspension, or are clearly in the nature of "rules of order".  

More information would be needed to determine what applies in your situation.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.