The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Limiting board members speaking time.

SHOOTER

3 hours ago, SHOOTER said:

Can the president of a non-profit board unilaterally limit the time a board member has to speak on a subject in order to hurry the meeting along?

Our by-laws, articles of incorporation and state rules governing non-profits are mute on this point.

No, nothing in RONR grants the president any such power.

20 hours ago, SHOOTER said:

Can the president of a non-profit board unilaterally limit the time a board member has to speak on a subject in order to hurry the meeting along?

Our by-laws, articles of incorporation and state rules governing non-profits are mute on this point.

Certainly not!

It hasn't happened yet but I have it on good authority it will happen at our next meeting.

Just preparing for it if it does happen. I would like to be standing on a firm foundation when I object.

Thank you one and all for the timely answers.

I do have another question that may sound silly but i will post it in another thread.

Just to be clear, we are saying that the chair does not have the authority to change the time limit on speeches.

If your bylaws are silent on this limit, RONR sets it at 10 minutes per speech, and limits the number of speeches a member may make on a given question to two, and the second of those two may only be made after everyone who wishes to has spoken once.

The chair does have the authority (and duty) to enforce these limits in order to move the meeting along.  Changing the limits would require a vote by the assembly itself.

8 hours ago, Gary Novosielski said:

If your bylaws are silent on this limit, RONR sets it at 10 minutes per speech, and limits the number of speeches a member may make on a given question to two, and the second of those two may only be made after everyone who wishes to has spoken once.

It sounds like this may be a board meeting, so it should be noted that under the small board rules, it’s still ten minutes per speech, but the number of speeches is not limited.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.