The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Executive Committe vs Executive Board

SHOOTER

Is there any difference between and Executive Committee and an Executive Board.

From the reading I have done, it seems some sites say no difference, some sites say yes they are different and others interchange the words at will.

Our bylaws state it is to be an executive committee, the word board is never used.

It's my understanding that either way, the committee or board only has the authority granted to it by full board and nothing more. Correct?

Ultimately, they're just words, and the authority granted to any is found in the bylaws  (not granted by the full board, unless the board has the power to delegate). But in general (and in the words of The General), an executive committee is a "board within a board," and handles some subset of board decisions between board meetings. But if your bylaws wish to call your board an executive committee, they are free to do so, so long as terms are used consistently within the bylaws. Parties, by way of example, often call their boards "Central Committees." Just be sure it actually is a board - i.e. something the bylaws give broad powers to govern the organization.

17 hours ago, Joshua Katz said:

Parties, by way of example, often call their boards "Central Committees."

I'll do you one better.

The party I work with calls its county-level organizations "Executive Committees".

The Executive Committee I deal with itself has a "Steering Committee", which is for all intents and purposes a board.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.