The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Rescinding a motion

Guest Lila Rhyne

A motion was made several years ago about all lattice work be taken off terraces.  The motion passed.  Currently a newer board member made a motion that all shareholders be allowed to put the lattice work back on the terraces.  I raised my hand after the 2nd and stated that a motion was already passed that the lattice work will no longer be allowed and has to be taken down (if a s/h had it on the terrace).  The maker of the original motion was present and asked if someone would make a motion to rescind the original motion.  It failed.  My question is:  Can the maker of the rescinding motion make that motion again (to rescind the original motion)?  Even though it failed.  Thank you!

By the way, it seems to me that the chair should simply have taken the original motion to be one to rescind something previously adopted and, if necessary, coached the maker on the wording. It was not necessary for the maker of the motion whose rescission was sought to be present, and there shouldn't have been a need to ask if someone will move to rescind, since almost certainly the maker of the motion to allow lattice work would make such a motion, and in effect had. 

Thank you all for your input.  The maker of the original motion is now the President of the Board.  I believe he is not allowed to make a motion.  I believe at our next meeting in May,  he will probably get 2/3 vote to rescind the original motion. 

1 minute ago, Guest Lila Rhyne said:

President of the Board.  I believe he is not allowed to make a motion. 

"not allowed" may be a bit strong, unless you have such a rule. RONR doesn't, particularly if this is a "small board".

However, there is nothing wrong with the president getting with a friend (if he has any) ahead of time to ask the friend to make the rescind motion.   That's called "leadership", or "politics".   The president can thus retain the aura of impartiality, as he/she should, in the meeting.

1 hour ago, Guest Lila Rhyne said:

The maker of the original motion is now the President of the Board.  I believe he is not allowed to make a motion

This suggests that you are thinking that the maker of the original motion (in this case, to remove the lattice work) has to have some role in the rescinding of that motion. The motion to Rescind can be made by any member, no matter how, or even if, they actually voted on the original motion. If I am misinterpreting your use of the word "original", I apologize.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.