The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Executive Session/ In Camera

jreyes

For a sub-committee in camera meeting (Board Directors). Do you provide notice to ALL members of the sub-committee as a way of informing them of the meeting, knowing that not ALL can attend? My understanding is that a meeting is not taken as an in camera or executive session but rather a SECRET MEETING when any committee member is not informed or is excluded from notice. Please advise :)

46 minutes ago, jreyes said:

For a sub-committee in camera meeting (Board Directors). Do you provide notice to ALL members of the sub-committee as a way of informing them of the meeting, knowing that not ALL can attend? My understanding is that a meeting is not taken as an in camera or executive session but rather a SECRET MEETING when any committee member is not informed or is excluded from notice. Please advise :)

A meeting is a meeting -- all members of the body that is meeting must receive the proper notice, regardless of whether the meeting will enter into executive session for some or all of the meeting time.

What do you mean by "knowing that not ALL can attend"?

1 minute ago, jreyes said:

The meeting is called with the intent to hold an executive session/in camera. There was a clear indication of not inviting one committee member. Is that acceptable practice?

No. (Unless you're talking about a member of a parent committee who is not a member of the actual subcommittee that is meeting.)

To be clear, you are asking whether it is acceptable to not give notice of or invitation to a meeting to one or more of the members of the body that is meeting? That is not acceptable practice. Whether or not the particular meeting includes an executive session / in camera makes no difference to this answer.

5 hours ago, jreyes said:

When any committee member is not informed or is excluded from notice of a meeting, it is not a SECRET MEETING, it is an improper meeting, i.e., not a meeting at all, and therefore null and void.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.