The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Executive session breach

Dfredc

The secretary of the board just sent out an email to the entire assembly about the supposed actions that took place in executive session of the board. Apparently, he claims that he was being unduly targeted for not performing his duties as they should be, and was apparently asked to resign.

This is a pretty serious breach of etiquette, correct? Wouldn't this alone be grounds for removal from office?

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner

It's more than a breach of etiquette, say, like introducing people in the wrong order. It's a breach of the good faith of the board and its members. I don't see how you could continue with a secretary who cannot be trusted.

On 6/15/2019 at 3:31 AM, Dfredc said:

The secretary of the board just sent out an email to the entire assembly about the supposed actions that took place in executive session of the board. Apparently, he claims that he was being unduly targeted for not performing his duties as they should be, and was apparently asked to resign.

This is a pretty serious breach of etiquette, correct? Wouldn't this alone be grounds for removal from office?

It is more than a "beach of etiquette."  This definitely is a legitimate ground for disciplinary action, including removal.  It is possibly the only specific ground listed in RONR (p. 96, ll. 6-9).   

The assembly, however, in the circumstances choose not to pursue the matter.  To draw an analogy with a prosecutor, a prosecutor may exercise his discretion in many cases.  He may be aware that an act might be violation of the criminal law, but for a variety of [good] reasons, not prosecute it.  Likewise, the assembly may not choose to begin the process outlined in Chapter XX, or decide that after going through some of the preliminary steps, not to pursue a trial by the members.  Even if there is a trial before the assembly, and a guilty verdict, the assembly decide not to inflict a penalty.  RONR does not require that the assembly take any action.

A distinction needs to be drawn between the violation and any remedy for it. 

Edited by J. J.

I did not see the violation of the executive session as being serious enough to warrant punishment. The board acted prudently in discussing the issues surrounding the secretary and her supposed shortcomings. The secretary decided to air her own dirty laundry. However, if she violated any other thing that should have remained secret, such as which board member said what, or some other motion at the same meeting, then I could see the board taking some action in that regard. If as a result of all this the secretary gets her act together and carries out her duties to the satisfaction of the board then I see no point in taking this any further. The board expressed their displeasure, the secretary had an attitude adjustment, so what else is there?

Thank you, everyone.

It appears the board itself isn't sure how they want to proceed. Our Bylaws provide two actions (discipline -basically a slap on the wrist that says, "bad boy") or to proceed with the removal of the Secretary. The discipline ironically requires a 2/3 vote of the assembly while removal of a board member is a majority vote (after a petition of 50% of the assembly or a 2/3 vote of the executive board). I sent out an email to the assembly explaining the breach and have had little response, so I'm not sure the assembly cares. Guess we'll just see what the board decides to do.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.