The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Small Board or legislative body

bigred73

I understand that  small boards my follow somewhat modified procedures (pp 486 - 487 in 11th edition).  But I am not clear on what determines whether a body is a board. Is it based solely on the title of the entity? For example if one group is called a town board and  another a city council but both serve the same function , does the first group constitute a board but not the second under Robert's Rules? The description (pp 8 - 9) of a board indicates it  is frequently smaller than most other assemblies and its operation is determined by responsibilities and powers delegated to it or conferred on it by authority outside itself.  One of the examples provided of a board is a "village board that operates like a small city council."  I am on a city council of 7 members. Our responsibilities are detailed in the city ordinances.  Would we be a board or legislative body? If we are a legislative body are we still ok to follow the procedures for  a small body?

Thanks for any insight you are able to provide.

1 hour ago, bigred73 said:

I understand that  small boards my follow somewhat modified procedures (pp 486 - 487 in 11th edition).  But I am not clear on what determines whether a body is a board. Is it based solely on the title of the entity? For example if one group is called a town board and  another a city council but both serve the same function , does the first group constitute a board but not the second under Robert's Rules? The description (pp 8 - 9) of a board indicates it  is frequently smaller than most other assemblies and its operation is determined by responsibilities and powers delegated to it or conferred on it by authority outside itself.  One of the examples provided of a board is a "village board that operates like a small city council."  I am on a city council of 7 members. Our responsibilities are detailed in the city ordinances.  Would we be a board or legislative body? If we are a legislative body are we still ok to follow the procedures for  a small body?

I would not the Democratic National Committee a committee in the sense that RONR uses the word "committee."

Both "village board," and the city council would be legislative body , however, they may "resemble" a board or an assembly of a local society (p. 8, ll. 18-25).

Edited by J. J.

25 minutes ago, bigred73 said:

I wouldn’t stress over this too much. Even small assemblies which are not boards may use the small board rules by adoption of a special rule of order specifying as much. So just adopt such a rule and you’re covered in any event.

Edited by Josh Martin

34 minutes ago, Josh Martin said:

I wouldn’t stress over this too much. Even small assemblies which are not boards may use the small board rules by adoption of a special rule of order specifying as much. So just adopt such a rule and you’re covered in any event.

It is permissible, but it may not be advisable, to permit unlimited debate, especially if this is a governmental agency.  That would be provided for under small board rules. 

19 minutes ago, J. J. said:

It is permissible, but it may not be advisable, to permit unlimited debate, especially if this is a governmental agency.  That would be provided for under small board rules. 

If this is a concern, the council is free to specify in the rule that it will still use the standard rule for the number of speeches in debate, or else to specify whatever limit on the number and length of speeches in debate is suitable for the council’s needs.

Edited by Josh Martin

23 minutes ago, Josh Martin said:

If this is a concern, the council is free to specify in the rule that it will still use the standard rule for the number of speeches in debate, or else to specify whatever limit on the number and length of speeches in debate is suitable for the council’s needs.

It can be a concern very easily, if the small board rule of not setting any limits on debate is used (p. 488, ll. 2-5).  It is the main reason I would not say that small board rules apply, and a legislative body is different than a board.   I do agree that many small board are applicable.

I would suggest that this body consider looking at drafting some supplemental rules, if they use small board rules (or they were to use regular rules).

Edited by J. J.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.