The Official RONR Q & A Forums

New Business -

Guest gmblakemore

Unless you have a rule or a custom to the contrary, items of new business are not normally listed on an agenda. However, assuming that you do list individual items of new business on the agenda, it requires a majority vote to amend a proposed agenda prior to the time it is adopted. Once the agenda is adopted, it requires a two-thirds vote (or unanimous consent) to amend it.

I want to emphasize that if you are following the rules in RONR  items of new business can be introduced by any member during new business regardless of whether those items are listed on the agenda.

Sorry I should have been clear.  I understand and agree with your last sentence. But my question is about making a motion to have matters placed in New Business section for deliberation by the body.  Agenda approved, nothing listed under "New Business".  The meeting is now at the New Business portion. A member would like to discuss a matter that falls under "New Business".  Does she have to make a motion in order to place her matter under New Business and to be take into consideration by the membership?  Hope this is clearer.  Again, thank you for responding.

7 minutes ago, Guest gmblakemore said:

Agenda approved, nothing listed under "New Business".  The meeting is now at the New Business portion. A member would like to discuss a matter that falls under "New Business".  Does she have to make a motion in order to place her matter under New Business and to be take into consideration by the membership?

She does not have to move to amend the agenda if you are following the rules in RONR . However, she does have to make a motion to do whatever it is that she is proposing.  

While in new business, and after the items listed on the agenda have been disposed of, the member would simply say, after being recognized,  "Mr. Chairman, I move that we paint the clubhouse red" or to do whatever it is that she wants to propose. If someone seconds her motion, you are off and running.

It is improper to discuss something without a motion first having been made. It would technically require a suspension of the rules to simply discuss something when there is no motion pending. Is that what your member wants to do?

Partly because of that rule, some organizations have the topic "For the Good of the Order" as the last item in their order of business. Discussion of something without a motion having been made would be appropriate at this time.

Does that help? If you still have a question about it let us know!

On 8/3/2019 at 9:32 PM, Guest gmblakemore said:

Sorry I should have been clear.  I understand and agree with your last sentence. But my question is about making a motion to have matters placed in New Business section for deliberation by the body.  Agenda approved, nothing listed under "New Business".  The meeting is now at the New Business portion. A member would like to discuss a matter that falls under "New Business".  Does she have to make a motion in order to place her matter under New Business and to be take into consideration by the membership?  Hope this is clearer.  Again, thank you for responding.

If the rules in RONR apply, there is no need to list individual items under the New Business heading nor to have items placed there before moving them.  When the time arrives for New Business, any member can seek recognition to make a motion on any subject, unless it would be out of order for some other reason, such as conflicting with the bylaws.  It is quite normal to have nothing listed under New Business.  This does not limit what motions may be introduced.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.