The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Committee recommendations

Guest Karen Mahurin

10 minutes ago, Guest Karen Mahurin said:

if a resolution comes out of legislative committee for a vote of the membership know we can make a recommendation of "do pass"  etc., I know that our recommendation stands as the motion, does it have to be seconded.

, I

For those resolutions the committee has voted in favor of during the committee meetings, and the reporting member is a member of the body that is meeting, the language should be something such as "Mr. President, by direction of [or "on behalf of"] the committee, I move the adoption of the resolution just read. " (RONR, p. 515) rather than "do pass".  If the committee has more than one member serving on it, and they are members of the body that is meeting, no second is required.

Edited by George Mervosh

Since the motion (the recommendation phrased as "On behalf of the XXX Committee, I move that...") comes from a committee no second is needed. (No harm done if some enthusiastic member seconds anyway.)

The motion is then handled as any main motion would be.    I don't know what you mean by "do pass".  Eventually the members vote "Yes" or "No" on the question of adopting the motion.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.