The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Announcement of ballots at an annual meeting and the procedure if an elected official declines the position

Guest Elizabeth Peach

Guest Elizabeth Peach

Question please on elections. Our annual election is soon approaching within a week.  The ballots will be counted and  the elected officers will be announced. What would happen IF an elected officer after winning the vote declines to accept that position.

And if they want to be back out once the ballots are in, what is the procedure. 

I know this sounds off the charts but it may happen apparently I hear. I am the Parliamentarian for our HOA this year.

I can't seem to find this in RRO.

Thank you for your help.

I agree with Mr. Huynh. Do not just declare the second-place candidate as elected, even if there are only two candidates. In that situation, someone may want to re-open nominations plus there is the option of a write-ins candidate winning on a subsequent ballot. 

It does not matter whether the candidate backs out after the ballots are in. You still count the ballots and announce the result. If that person wins they will, presumably, decline (although it's not unheard of for people to change their mind once they hear they've won).

Edited by Atul Kapur

Also, be aware that after the ballots are counted, the tellers' report, as outlined in RONR, is read aloud by the reporting teller, then is repeated by the chair, who announces the result, and is recorded in the minutes.  This report includes a complete vote count for all candidates, number required to elect, number of ballots cast, number of illegal votes if any, etc.  See the example in RONR. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.