The Official RONR Q & A Forums

STANDING RULES

Guest Anne Felts

I’m trying to determine if a Board has the majority of votes based on a motion for standing rules, should these Standing Rules also be voted on by the membership at large?

ie Can a Board make Standing Rules that the Membership is unaware of and have no input?

That depends on whom the Standing Rules are for.  If they are for the Board then the General Membership wouldn't necessarily need to know about them or have any input.  On the other hand, it the Standing Rules are for the General Membership my question is why the Board is getting involved in something that most likely have little to do with them?

1 hour ago, Guest Anne Felts said:

I’m trying to determine if a Board has the majority of votes based on a motion for standing rules, should these Standing Rules also be voted on by the membership at large?

ie Can a Board make Standing Rules that the Membership is unaware of and have no input?

I think it depends on several factors, such as whether the rule is for board meetings, meetings of the membership, or is not for meetings at all, what authority has been granted to the board by the membership or by the organization’s rules, and whether the rule in question conflicts with an existing rule adopted by the membership.

2 hours ago, Guest Anne Felts said:

If the rules in RONR apply, the Board is subordinate to the Membership, and has only the authority granted to it in the bylaws.  So, the Board cannot create any rules that the Membership is obliged to obey.  The Membership could, however, issue instructions to the Board, which it must follow. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.