The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Adjournment

Guest Damon

1 hour ago, Guest Damon said:

Our board has a tradition of any member being able to adjourn simply by saying: "I move we adjourn this meeting."  Then we don't vote or anything, that is just it.  Is this right? Is it good?

I generally concur with Mr. Novosielski, although I would also note that there are some circumstances in which the chair may declare a meeting adjourned on his own initiative. The most common of these is when the assembly has completed its entire order of business and no member seeks the floor to introduce new business. Is this the situation in your board, or are members moving to adjourn when there is still business remaining?

2 hours ago, Josh Martin said:

I generally concur with Mr. Novosielski, although I would also note that there are some circumstances in which the chair may declare a meeting adjourned on his own initiative. The most common of these is when the assembly has completed its entire order of business and no member seeks the floor to introduce new business. Is this the situation in your board, or are members moving to adjourn when there is still business remaining?

That's true, as well as situations where danger threatens, but the question was about a member making a motion to adjourn.

If this is merely being done at the normal ending time when its clear to all that the meeting has run its course, then it's a relatively harmless custom, but if members believe they can unilaterally shut down a meeting at will, that's a Bad Thing.  At best, it's a bad habit.

Edited by Gary Novosielski

I cannot imagine handling a formal motion to Adjourn by "that is just it", even if all the members would vote in favor, were it put to a vote. While it is true the chair may declare a meeting adjourned in lieu of a motion when it is clear there is no further business to transact, the chair does not have that power when a formal motion has been made. "That is just it" is absolutely no way for the chair to respond to a formal motion to Adjourn.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.