The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Approval of Funds

Toby

Typically, a committee has no power to take action. Rather, it makes recommendations to an assembly that does. The report can recommend funds be spent in various ways, so long as those ways are within the power of the assembly to which it reports. Or, I guess, the report can make recommendations not within that assembly's power, but that seems like a bad idea since they can't be acted upon. The recommendations will then be moved when the report is delivered, and the assembly will decide what to do.

On 11/19/2019 at 8:18 AM, Toby said:

Can funds be approved in committee reports?

I’m late to this particular party, but I believe there are circumstances in which a committee can approve expenditures of funds.

An example which comes to mind is a committee appointed with power, such as the Christmas party committee being given a budget of $500 to put on the Christmas party. I think the committee has the power to decide how the $500 will be spent and to approve expenditures within the budgeted amount. 

2 minutes ago, Richard Brown said:

An example which comes to mind is a committee appointed with power, such as the Christmas party committee being given a budget of $500 to put on the Christmas party. I think the committee has the power to decide how the $500 will be spent and to approve expenditures within the budgeted amount. 

Yes, but it's still not doing so in its report.

11 minutes ago, Joshua Katz said:

Yes, but it's still not doing so in its report.

Ah, true, but the report can say that the committee approved the expenditure. “The committee approved a contract with Sam Spendfast in the amount of $250 to provide music and serve as disc jockey for the party.”

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.