The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Voting Treasurer

Guest Donna Walters

We are a very small, struggling church, who pays the treasurer $1 per year.  Our bylaws state that they have NO voting privileges.  However, they spend a lot of time voicing an opinion on things which do not pertain to duties of the Treasurer, therefore influencing other members to vote how they want them to vote.  Does RROO offer any incite as to what a paid member of a group is permitted to do?  Or, not do?

Thank you.

As far as RONR is concerned a member is a member with the rights of a member.  Since you have created another class of membership (a paid Treasurer without the right to vote) it is up to you all to determine what rights that member retains.  I will mention though that if the Treasurer buys a cup of coffee from McDonald's she has spent her yearly salary right there and she might not want to serve if you all decide that she needs to remain silent on all subjects except for what pertains to her duties.

Pardon me but I am slightly skeptical. The OP said the Treasurer had no right to vote according to the bylaws without providing any evidence. Also, the OP claims the Treasurer enters the debate without indicating whether the person in question is an actual member of the congregation or not. Perhaps it would be helpful to know these facts before stating a definitive opinion. Also, I believe the word is "insight" and not "incite."

I agree with Guest Zev's skepticism.  Although I do not disagree with most of the other responses, I don't believe we have enough information to give Guest Donna Walters (the original poster) much guidance at this point.  As to my friend Joshua Katz's comment that enforcing an oath of silence in return for a one dollar salary might be hard to enforce, I don't view the situation (based on the limited information we have) as "buying silence".  I look at it as more likely being a situation wherein, for some reason unknown to us, the church desires to treat the treasurer as an employee.  In short, I agree with Guest Zev that we need more information in order to say more than that an organization may, in its bylaws, restrict the right of certain members to vote and that RONR makes no special reference as to what paid members of an organization may do.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.