The Official RONR Q & A Forums

VOTING ON NEW MEMBER

Guest JASEN N

Both. It would be a tie and it would be a "no go" because it did not meet the 51% requirement (and even if you were a larger organization, 50.6 or 50.9% wouldnt be enough -- there's no rounding in RONR).

BTW, it is better to use the term "majority vote" than 51%. Majority vote means more than half and sometimes that's not 51%.

Edited by Atul Kapur

3 hours ago, Atul Kapur said:

BTW, it is better to use the term "majority vote" than 51%. Majority vote means more than half and sometimes that's not 51%.

I thought the same thing, but then wondered whether this could be, in fact,  a true statement, and the organization's bylaws actually require 51%, whether in the mistaken view that this is the definition of a majority or not. If Guest JASEN N is still reading this, perhaps he could give us the exact wording of the bylaws.

I agree, Bruce. I’ve been surprised at how many bylaws seem to actually require a 51% threshold for a motion to pass. I used to think the posters were paraphrasing and misquoting the bylaws, but then, when they post an exact quote such as with a copy and paste, the bylaws really do say 51%.

On 1/27/2020 at 11:04 PM, Richard Brown said:

I agree, Bruce. I’ve been surprised at how many bylaws seem to actually require a 51% threshold for a motion to pass. I used to think the posters were paraphrasing and misquoting the bylaws, but then, when they post an exact quote such as with a copy and paste, the bylaws really do say 51%.

Yes - I suppose a lot of folks believe that 51% is the same as a majority. Symptom of poor education ;)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.