The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Resignations

Christy

1 hour ago, Guest Elizabeth said:

Our secretary resigned all of a sudden so we were informed by a board member that another board members can hold 2 positions. Our Bylaws do not address this. "One person for one position"  but one of the present board members said she will take notes and fill in as secretary until we can replace the position of the secretary  We are being informed that it is "Legal" to hold 2 positions.   Please address this as I am the present Parliamentarian. .   This concerns Elected Officials and not committees.

Here is what our present Bylaws say about this matter. " The President will Appoint a member to fill a vacancy caused by the resignation or incapacity of any Board member or Parliamentarian with the approval of the other Board members"   .

Just now, Christy said:

Our secretary resigned all of a sudden so we were informed by a board member that another board members can hold 2 positions. Our Bylaws do not address this. "One person for one position"  but one of the present board members said she will take notes and fill in as secretary until we can replace the position of the secretary  We are being informed that it is "Legal" to hold 2 positions.   Please address this as I am the present Parliamentarian. .   This concerns Elected Officials and not committees.

Here is what our present Bylaws say about this matter. " The President will Appoint a member to fill a vacancy caused by the resignation or incapacity of any Board member or Parliamentarian with the approval of the other Board members"   .

Yes, it is correct that a person may serve in multiple positions unless the bylaws provide otherwise. Since you say that your bylaws are silent on this matter, a person may serve in multiple positions. So the vacancy could be filled by an existing board member and that board member could serve in that position and in their current position.

Until the vacancy is filled, it will be necessary to elect a Secretary Pro Tempore at each meeting to take minutes, and it appears one of your board members has already volunteered to serve in this capacity.

Just now, Christy said:

I have this is front of me now. Thank you George Mervosh 

I am going to buy RRO on CD if there is an up to date version.  This is handy for me while attending a board meeting to pull up information that I would need.

I didn't do anything but ask a question but you're welcome.  Yes, the CD is awesome.  

3 hours ago, George Mervosh said:

On p. 88, the book explains what it takes to appoint a chairman pro tem beyond the current session.  Would the same rule apply to a secretary pro tem? (yes, I know RONR doesn't say it would) Or would it not be possible to do so at all?

I would think the same rule would apply.

11 minutes ago, Josh Martin said:

I would think the same rule would apply.

I agree and hope those who keep saying that you can’t do something unless RONR says you can are paying attention.  😊

Edited by Richard Brown
Edited to say “I agree”

15 hours ago, Richard Brown said:

I agree and hope those who keep saying that you can’t do something unless RONR says you can are paying attention.  😊

I agree as well.  There is no reason to question that the assembly can appoint a secretary pro-tem for a single meeting at a time.

I would point out that there is nothing in RONR that authorizes the painting of the clubhouse. Yet I would be loath to rule it out of order.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.