The Official RONR Q & A Forums

is it possible to amending an improper written amendment for the constitution and bylaws that is to be voted on at a convention

Guest Patrick Rodriguez

Guest Patrick Rodriguez

We have our convention coming up soon, and our Constitution and By-Laws chair submitted an amendment, which I feel was a statement, instead of the formal explanation.  Is there any way to correct the written proposed amendment at the convention to reflect the intent.  I was considering Section 12, Amend.  Friendly Amendments. RONR (11TH ed.), p.162, ll 11-19.

Thank you.

16 minutes ago, Guest Patrick Rodriguez said:

We have our convention coming up soon, and our Constitution and By-Laws chair submitted an amendment, which I feel was a statement, instead of the formal explanation.  Is there any way to correct the written proposed amendment at the convention to reflect the intent.  I was considering Section 12, Amend.  Friendly Amendments. RONR (11TH ed.), p.162, ll 11-19.

Thank you.

If you read p. 162 carefully, you'll see that the term "Friendly" amendment, while frequently encountered, really does not exist.  Amendments are amendments, and are treated the same regardless of how "friendly" the mover believes they are.

Guess Patrick, to expand on the answers you have been given:

if someone is making a motion to amend the bylaws, that motion can be amended. However, ignore the section on friendly amendments. What you need to concern yourself with is whether your amendment falls within the scope of notice of the motion that is being proposed. This hiccup is explained on pages 594-596, pay particular attention to p, 595, lines 3-21. If you think it is a “friendly amendment” (even though that doesn't really exist ), then it is more likely that it does fall within the scope of notice and would be acceptable.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.