The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Co-Officers

Guest Rebeca

Due to all the upheaval caused by Covid-19, and the cancellation of annual meetings, there is a proposal regarding all offices be held by co-officers for this current year only. Is this against Roberts Rules of Order, and if yes, where can I find the pertinent guidelines? Thank you for any guidance you can provide.

30 minutes ago, Joshua Katz said:

If your bylaws allow for co-officers, then it is allowed. If they do not, it is not. This is not a RONR prohibition, it's just that your bylaws define officer positions and specify how many people hold them.

I agree, but also note that RONR advises against having co-chairmen because of the "impossible dilemmas in attempts to share the functions of a single position." P. 176, ll. 3-6. I believe the same "impossible dilemmas" would occur with co-officers.

14 hours ago, Guest Rebeca said:

Due to all the upheaval caused by Covid-19, and the cancellation of annual meetings, there is a proposal regarding all offices be held by co-officers for this current year only. Is this against Roberts Rules of Order, and if yes, where can I find the pertinent guidelines? Thank you for any guidance you can provide.

To have co-officers is in violation of your bylaws, unless your bylaws provide for them. Presumably, your bylaws say something like "There shall be a President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer" not "There shall be one or more Presidents, Vice Presidents, Secretaries, and Treasurers." Additionally, RONR advises against co-officers - especially in the case of the chairman.

I am also not entirely clear what the connection is between "the upheaval caused by Covid-19, and the cancellation of annual meetings" and the proposal to have all offices be held by co-officers.

21 hours ago, Hieu H. Huynh said:

How does having co-officers help the situation?

The majority of the normal activities are cancelled for the foreseeable future. Co-Officers would give the option of attending more local meetings, both currently and once travel is again an option, promoting the organizations activities. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.