The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Member Dues and Assessments

Angie N

Hello,

I have a question about assessments and member dues. Our organization does not have anything in our bylaws to assess members. If I understand correctly according to RONR,  we can not assess members outside dues unless it's in our bylaws. My question is would it be out of order for a member to make a motion to increase the dues? Does there have to be a provision in the bylaws to increase dues??

Thank you for your help! 

It is not necessary to have a provision in your bylaws strictly to increase the dues. If your bylaws specify the dues amount, then you will need to amend the bylaws to increase that amount, following whatever procedures your bylaws require for their amendment. If your bylaws specify that dues will be collected, but do not specify the amount, then they might indicate who has the power to set the dues amount - either the board, or the membership alone. When the bylaws do not specify the dues amount, an increase would most likely be through the motion to amend something previously adopted, since you would be changing an amount previously approved. This motion requires a 2/3 vote if no previous notice is given, a majority vote if previous notice is given, or a vote of a majority of the entire membership. For an issue like a dues increase. I would strongly recommend giving previous notice.

Just now, Angie N said:

Thank you for the response. We do not have anything currently in our bylaws about dues. So this would be a new motion, is previous notice still required? 

There is nothing in your bylaws about dues whatsoever? If that is the case, then not only can you not increase the dues, you can't charge dues at all, until the bylaws are amended to provide for them. When the bylaws are amended to provide for dues, the bylaws could specify a set amount (in which event the bylaws would need to be amended in order to increase them) or the bylaws could specify the manner in which dues may be set and changed.

5 hours ago, Angie N said:

To move forward we need to update our bylaws to add dues and a way to increase them?

Yes.  As Mr. Lages and Mr. Martin said, you can either include the dues amount in the bylaws (not recommended) or provide that members shall pay dues as established from time to time by some body, such as the membership, the Board of Directors, Executive Committee, etc.  Then it won't be necessary to amend the bylaws when a due increase is necessary.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.