The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Committee Report Presentation

Guest Guest

When a committee develops a report to present to the general body, must they obtain the approval from the Executive Board prior to presenting  it to the body?  Also, can the presiding officer unilaterally request changes to report outside of Executive Board and general body? 

Just now, Guest Guest said:

When a committee develops a report to present to the general body, must they obtain the approval from the Executive Board prior to presenting  it to the body?

Is it a committee of the general body or a committee of the Executive Board?

If it is a committee of the general body, the committee needs no permission to report to the general body. If it is a committee of the Executive Board, then the ordinary situation would be for the committee to report to the Executive Board which would, in turn, report to the general body. In that case, it would seem to me that permission would certainly be required for the committee to bypass the Executive Board.

2 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

Also, can the presiding officer unilaterally request changes to report outside of Executive Board and general body? 

No.

16 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

Also, can the presiding officer unilaterally request changes to report outside of Executive Board and general body?

14 minutes ago, Josh Martin said:

No

I'm not so  sure this is correct.  More information and better context from Guest Guest would be helpful.  It is correct that the president cannot insist on changes to the report and normally should not even request changes while he is presiding.  But, nothing in RONR prohibits the  president or anyone else from suggesting changes to a report before it is submitted.  The committee, of course, is  free to ignore such requests.   The members of the organization or committee may well take offense at what they view as improper interference with the work of the committee, but nothing in RONR prohibits anyone from making suggestions outside of a meeting.

4 minutes ago, Richard Brown said:

I'm not so  sure this is correct.  More information and better context from Guest Guest would be helpful.  It is correct that the president cannot insist on changes to the report and normally should not even request changes while he is presiding.  But, nothing in RONR prohibits the  president or anyone else from suggesting changes to a report before it is submitted.  The committee, of course, is  free to ignore such requests.   The members of the organization or committee may well take offense at what they view as improper interference with the work of the committee, but nothing in RONR prohibits anyone from making suggestions outside of a meeting.

I appreciate the clarification. I agree that no rule in RONR prevents the President (or anyone else) from requesting changes to the committee's report, although of course the committee is not required to comply with these requests.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.