The Official RONR Q & A Forums

electronic voting

Guest guest

I think that depends on the technology being employed. And if there is a limit (such as "fifteen seconds"), it needs to be specified in the rules for the meeting. Typically, if it is a technology that is "live" in the meeting, and there is no open voting period specified, the presiding officer, after a reasonable period, says, "have all voted who wish to do so," and then if no one seeks recognition or indicates otherwise, declares that the vote is closed.

I generally concur with the previous answer, but disagree it should be specified in the rules.   That may be too generous or too restrictive for the motion under consideration. What is reasonable for a simple yes/no vote is different than a question with more than two options which is different than an election using ranked voting etc.  I think it best left to the presiding officer's reasonable judgment for the circumstances -- if that proves not to be working, you can then adopt an appropriate rule or rules but they will be one based upon actual experience.  

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Guest Guest- Amanda said:

Follow up question, when doing a meeting virtually and an electronic poll/vote do we need to put in the minutes the count as if it were a balloted vote? 

Anytime a vote is counted on a main motion, I think the count should be announced by the chair and entered into the minutes, yes.

Edited by George Mervosh

8 hours ago, Guest Guest- Amanda said:

Follow up question, when doing a meeting virtually and an electronic poll/vote do we need to put in the minutes the count as if it were a balloted vote? 

It would depend on which of the sample rules (or your own custom rules) are in effect.  It seems that when a roll-call vote is required due to imperfect technology, the suggested rule is that the counts be recorded but not the identity and vote of each member, as would normally be done on a full-blown roll-call vote.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.