The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Why a 2/3 vote to protect the minority?

Drake Savory

My question deals more with the history of the 2/3 vote.  I don't want to get into protecting the right of the minority with a 2/3 vote such as the right to debate with Previous Question or voting to Suspend the Rules.  I'm curious where the 2/3 as the itself came from.  Is it a holdover from the British Parliament, its reason lost in antiquity?  Dis someone very mathematically point out that 2/3 means the minority is outnumbered 2 to 1?  Was it the next progression in fractions after majority of 1/2?  2/3, 3/4, 4/5, etc (except there are no 3/4 or 4/5 votes in Robert's Rules).

So how was 2/3 chosen as the higher threshold beyond a majority?

I expect that the two thirds rule was selected originally because, while a simple majority could mean that a decision could be taken in a situation where the number of nays was very close to the number of yeas, two thirds means that there would be at least two yeas for every nay, which would be a more significant kind of majority.

Well then, why not three-quarters, four fifths, five sixths, and on and on, one might ask. I think because going down that path would lead to requiring unanimity if one could not draw the line somewhere "reasonable". It might also seem to question the good faith one should assume in a deliberative assembly.

Finally, it is very well established in practice to the extent that I do not believe it has ever been seriously challenged. So, if it works, why worry about where it came from?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.