The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Parliamentary Procedure Training

PBix

At the meetings of my organization, people have long turned to me when parliamentary issues arise, as I am one of the few members who takes an interest in parliamentary procedure and I actually have a copy of Robert's Rules.  Recently I was officially named as our organization's Parliamentarian.  But I feel that my knowledge is incomplete.  It was good enough when people looked to me informally for advice, but now that I am officially the Parliamentarian, I feel a responsibility to know more.

Is there an outlet that offers training in parliamentary procedure?  Is any such outlet regarded as the best, most official source of such training?  Can one get certified as a Parliamentarian?  

Any advice appreciated.  Because of the pandemic, I would need a course that can be taken remotely.

Thanks in advance.

48 minutes ago, PBix said:

Is there an outlet that offers training in parliamentary procedure?  Is any such outlet regarded as the best, most official source of such training?  Can one get certified as a Parliamentarian?  

Both the National Institute of Parliamentarians and the American Institute of Parliamentarians offer training and registration as a parliamentarian. I can't speak for AIP, but NAP has had online training, both webinar and self-study, before the pandemic, and more since. To become a member of NAP, you first study and then take a membership exam. To prepare for the exam, reading RONR In Brief is a good idea. In place of the exam, you can also take online courses from a few colleges (check parliamentarians.org for more info) and, on passing the class, you'll become an NAP member without the exam.

As far as registration, the NAP has recently adopted a new procedure for becoming a Registered Parliamentarian. My understanding it that it can all be done at home now, and requires a series of assessments. Obviously, you'd study before taking them. I'd suggest reading RONR, completing as many self-study classes as you find useful, attending webinars when you can, and then purchasing ParlQuest, which allows you to take practice exams. (But this might be outdated with the new process.) There are also some study systems out there that people have used successfully. And, of course, you can ask questions on this forum.

Once you have the RP done, and some experience, you can become a Professional Registered Parliamentarian by taking the Professional Qualifying Course, which has been offered online a few times because of the pandemic. I'm not sure if it will continue to be offered online "after."

I'm sure someone else can explain the AIP process.

Good luck!

Responding to questions on this forum is one of the best "training" methods there is.  Not only do you encounter "real life" problems, but you also have the authors of the book reading the forum and, sometimes, responding.  I can truly say I would never have attained the understanding that I have without the forum.

So, I recommend that you read this forum often and respond (with references to the 12th edition) to questions that pertain to the book.  Don't be afraid.  Don't be shy.  Jump right in!

Go to www.parliamentarians.org, and click on “learn more.” This is the website of the National Association of Parliamentarians. In addition to the membership exam discussed above, there are two levels of credentialing - Registered Parliamentarian (RP), and Professional Registered Parliamentarian (PRP). The website explains it all, and everything other than the initial PRP process can be done online.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.