The Official RONR Q & A Forums

3 minute speaking limit

Guest Sergio

At a condominium board meeting I had a number of questions regarding the Condo Assoc financial statements. After receiving an answer to one question and asking another I was not given an answer because the president stated I exceeded the 3 minute time limit (the three minutes included my questions and the response from the manager). Should the 3 minute time limit apply to questions about the condo assoc finances? It was my understanding the 3 minute time limit pertained to a participate contributing to a discussion and expressing their opinion. 

32 minutes ago, Guest Sergio said:

At a condominium board meeting I had a number of questions regarding the Condo Assoc financial statements. After receiving an answer to one question and asking another I was not given an answer because the president stated I exceeded the 3 minute time limit (the three minutes included my questions and the response from the manager). Should the 3 minute time limit apply to questions about the condo assoc finances? It was my understanding the 3 minute time limit pertained to a participate contributing to a discussion and expressing their opinion. 

How was this three minute time limit adopted? What was the exact wording of the motion or rule regarding this limit?

Also very important:

Are you member of the board or just member of the condominium?

If you are not member of the board (and it is a board meeting) Roberts rules do not give you any rights (but the bylaws may)

If you are member of the board (and it is a board meeting) the limit is per motion / amendment,  not a general one (but see the rules itself and the bylaw)

Please give details on the kind of meeting and what is in the bylaw / special rules of order) 

It all sounds not very Roberts rules of order.

Good luck

The fact that questions were being asked makes me suspect that the original poster was not a member of the board.  If my suspicions are correct, the poster will have to look to the association's own rules to find the answers.

Insofar as RONR would control (and I doubt that it does), non-members of the board have no right to be present at board meetings, nor do they have the right to ask questions or otherwise disrupt the proceedings.

35 minutes ago, Rob Elsman said:

The fact that questions were being asked makes me suspect that the original poster was not a member of the board. 

I don't follow your logic. I have, as a member of a board, often asked questions about the treasurer's report. Why does that lead you to suspect the OP is not a member of the board?

1 hour ago, Josh Martin said:

I am unclear on how this conclusion was reached, given that we have currently been provided zero information regarding the rule.

Sorry you are right here. 

But I think the board can refuse to adopt the financial statement because some members still want answers to some questions (asked or not yet asked) 

but I will have to study this more

Tending to agree with Rob Elsman, since the original poster said there is a three minute time limit and he was asking questions, I rather suspect this was a board  meeting and he is a general member, not a board member, and there is a three minute limit on questions and comments by non-board members in attendance. 

like the others, I am waiting on more information from the original poster.

On 10/30/2020 at 3:25 PM, Guest Member or not said:

Sorry you are right here. 

But I think the board can refuse to adopt the financial statement because some members still want answers to some questions (asked or not yet asked) 

but I will have to study this more

Unless the financial statements include proposed budget expenditures, shouldn't the statements be filed for audit rather than adopted?

6 hours ago, Byron Baxter said:

Unless the financial statements include proposed budget expenditures, shouldn't the statements be filed for audit rather than adopted?

The financial statements should be filed for audit in any event. If the financial statements include proposed budget expenditures, motions should be made to approve those expenditures, not the statements themselves.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.