The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Adopted Motion Null and Void in Part

Weldon Merritt

The question is somewhat related to my previous thread, but different enough that I thought I should start a new thread.

Suppose the bylaws clearly and unequivocally give the president the sole authority to appoint the chair and members of all committees. (No exception for when the president is absent, or any other exception.) Suppose further that the assembly adopts a motion, in the president's absence, creating a special committee (which is within the assembly's authority) and naming the chair and members. May the president ignore the part of the motion that purports to name the chair and members, and appoint his own choices (which might include all or some of the ones named in the motion), or should the motion be ruled null and void on the ground that it is in violation of the bylaws?

RONR does not deal with the issue of severability directly.  RONR (12th ed.) 10:26, item "1)", says, "No main motion...", which I take to mean that the parts of a main motion are not severable as to which parts are, and which parts are not, in order; likewise, RONR (12th ed.) 23:6, item "b)", says, "a main motion...", which further leads me to think that a main motion is not severable as to which parts do, and which parts do not, constitute a continuing breach.

Edited by Rob Elsman

Rob, I agree that the literal reading of the rule supports your interpretation. Now suppose that the president is perfectly happy with the chair and members named in the motion, and goes ahead and names them to the committee. Does that cure the breach?

Edited by Weldon Merritt
Edited to correct a typo.

I think I would have to answer two different ways, depending on further facts, as follows:

1) If the special committee has not risen and reported, a Point of Order could be raised; however,

2) If the special committee has risen and reported, the breach is healed, and what is done is done.  No Point of Order is in order thereafter.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.