The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Resignations

R.S.M

10 minutes ago, R.S.M said:

Our organizational Bylaws are silent on the subject of resignations. I've read 32:8 in RONR 12th about resignations, But I cannot find anywhere how you handle a resignation.

Does it require a motion and second, or does the organization take no action just assume the resignation is accepted because no one objected? Thanks 

A resignation is a particular form of a Request to be Excused from a Duty and follows the same rules. The Standard Descriptive Characteristics for this motion are found in RONR (12th ed.) 32:2, which (among other things) describe whether the motion requires a second.

This is indeed a situation where the chair might use the procedures of assuming a motion and requesting unanimous consent. The chair might say, for instance, "Mr. X has submitted his resignation from the office of Treasurer. Is there any objection to accepting his resignation? [PAUSE] Seeing none, the resignation is accepted." Mere silence when the resignation is offered, however, is not sufficient.

If instead a formal motion is made to accept the resignation, this motion requires a second if the motion is made by the person resigning. If it is made by any other person, no second is required, because it is presumed that the person resigning supports accepting the resignation and therefore counts as the second.

"The request can be granted by unanimous consent, or a motion to grant it, which is debatable and amendable, can be offered." RONR (12th ed.) 32:1

"Does not require a second except when moved formally by the maker of the request. A motion to grant the request of another member does not require a second since the maker of the request and the maker of the motion—two members—wish the question to be considered." RONR (12th ed.) 32:2

Edited by Josh Martin

11 minutes ago, R.S.M said:

I wasn't at the meeting when resignations were brought up, but not sure how it was handled. Maybe they were read and the organization voted. No one made a motion as far as I know to accept, just voted I believe.

That would be sufficient. As I have previously noted, this is certainly a situation where it is appropriate for the chair to "assume" a motion. (And even if a motion had been required, it would be too late to raise a Point of Order about it now.) If the assembly voted to accept the resignation, it's accepted.

1 hour ago, R.S.M said:

After reading the minutes they do not reflect a vote being taken but one member says there was a vote. So I don't know. It looks like someone made a motion but was told one was not needed. Nothing in minutes show the chair ask for objections. 

Well, I suppose your first step is to figure out what actually happened, since there seems to be some doubt on that point. After that is settled, then any necessary corrections to the minutes can be made, and (if necessary) any further action needed can be taken on the resignation.

19 hours ago, Josh Martin said:

Well, I suppose your first step is to figure out what actually happened, since there seems to be some doubt on that point. After that is settled, then any necessary corrections to the minutes can be made, and (if necessary) any further action needed can be taken on the resignation.

I agree.  Get the minutes straight first, even if there is not unanimity.  A majority vote settles the issue of what the minutes say.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.