The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Tabling a Secondary Amendment

Tomm

A secondary amendment was tabled (I know it should have been "postponed" instead of "tabled") but then the question came up whether the entire motion (main motion, primary amendment) was tabled or was it just the secondary motion that was tabled?

I suspect the correct answer is that the entire main motion along with the primary and secondary amendments are tabled/postponed until the next meeting?

Pleas advise!

The motion to postpone can not be applied to a secondary amendment - nor a primary amendment - alone. The motion should be made to postpone the main motion, and then any primary and secondary amendments that are also pending at that time will be postponed along with the main motion. (RONR, 12:7 (2))

19 hours ago, Tomm said:

A secondary amendment was tabled (I know it should have been "postponed" instead of "tabled") but then the question came up whether the entire motion (main motion, primary amendment) was tabled or was it just the secondary motion that was tabled?

I suspect the correct answer is that the entire main motion along with the primary and secondary amendments are tabled/postponed until the next meeting?

Pleas advise!

According to the rules, an amendment cannot be postponed or laid on the table without also postponing or laying the main question on the table at the same time. But you say the secondary amendment was tabled, so it's difficult to say that something different happened. There may be a difference between what should have happened and what did happen.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.