The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Elections

Guest Kathy

Our Bylaws require a Special Meeting be held to elect a new President when there has been a resignation of the current one.  The Board is to select candidates and present them to the members for a vote.  

If we have only one candidate, do we have a "unanimous consent vote" or go through the procedure of balloting.  Since the Bylaws require a Special Meeting, I worry we'll even get a quorum to participate.  Fine kettle of worms!

5 minutes ago, Guest Kathy said:

If we have only one candidate, do we have a "unanimous consent vote" or go through the procedure of balloting. 

Do your bylaws call for a balloted vote?

6 minutes ago, Guest Kathy said:

Since the Bylaws require a Special Meeting, I worry we'll even get a quorum to participate. 

Not holding a balloted vote will not fix this problem, though.

12 minutes ago, Guest Kathy said:

If we have only one candidate, do we have a "unanimous consent vote" or go through the procedure of balloting. 

If the bylaws require a ballot vote and provide no exceptions, then a ballot vote must be taken.

If the bylaws do not require a ballot vote, of if the bylaws require a ballot vote but provide an exception if there is only one candidate, then the chair may declare the candidate elected by acclamation.

13 minutes ago, Guest Kathy said:

Since the Bylaws require a Special Meeting, I worry we'll even get a quorum to participate.

A quorum is required to conduct the election, even if the election is by acclamation.

Just now, Guest lynne said:

If nominations for each office were announced a month ago and the chair did not ask if there

were any other nominees at that time, can the chair ask if there are any nominees for any position at the time of the election?

Yes, he must.  RONR (12th ed.), 46:18

8 minutes ago, Guest lynne said:

thank you George

does the request for nominees need to be done for each position?  Or, can a general query asking if there are

any nominations for any position?  

The chair should state the names of all of those who were nominated for each office from your last meeting before asking for further nominations. Then I think the chair should ask for nominees for each office separately at the election meeting before proceeding with the election.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.