The Official RONR Q & A Forums

making motions -

Guest Rebecca

can the treasurer of the Board make a motion to approve his report or second a motion to approve his report?  I did not think that he could, but our treasurer insists that he can.  It is my understanding that a committee chair can make the motion if there is action to be taken on a committee report.  Please advise.

8 minutes ago, Guest Rebecca said:

can the treasurer of the Board make a motion to approve his report or second a motion to approve his report?  I did not think that he could, but our treasurer insists that he can.  It is my understanding that a committee chair can make the motion if there is action to be taken on a committee report.  Please advise.

Yes he can make or second motions if he's a member of the board.  RONR (12th ed.), 47:3

However, RONR notes with regards to the treasurer's report that it's not required or proper to adopt it, so no one should be making or seconding a motion to do so.  See RONR (12th ed.), 48:24-26.

Edited by George Mervosh

37 minutes ago, Guest Rebecca said:

can the treasurer of the Board make a motion to approve his report or second a motion to approve his report?

29 minutes ago, George Mervosh said:

Yes he can make or second motions if he's a member of the board.  RONR (12th ed.), 47:3

If the officer's report includes a recommendation, "Motions to adopt or implement any recommendations should be made from the floor by a member other than the reporting officer." RONR (12th ed.), 48:19
I believe that a motion to approve the officer's report would be covered by this sentence, as the treasurer is recommending that their report be approved.
(The fact that such a motion is generally not a good idea is a separate issue. See 48:24)

If, for some reason, you need to approve the report, the chair can assume the motion, similar to what is described in 48:25

Guest Rebecca, agreeing with my colleagues I will point out that one reason RONR does not recommend approving the treasurers report is that it is an unaudited report and by approving it the assembly is putting a stamp of approval on it, something that only an auditing committee should do.   As with other reports, once the treasurer has given his report, the chair should say “Thank you for your report. The next report is the report of the _______”.  That’s it.  No motion to approve, adopt, or receive the report. It has been given when the treasurer completes it.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.