The Official RONR Q & A Forums

President Retired, VP is under recall petition - can the VP still run the meeting though they are on the Agenda for recall

Guest JNH

So our President retired, making our VP our acting president.  The VP is under a recall (we will vote on later in the month) but we have a general meeting where she will defend herself.... Under any Robert's Rules, can she still chair the meeting?  Seems like a conflict of interest when she is on the agenda, but can't find anything.

1 hour ago, Guest JNH said:

So our President retired, making our VP our acting president.  The VP is under a recall (we will vote on later in the month) but we have a general meeting where she will defend herself.... Under any Robert's Rules, can she still chair the meeting?  Seems like a conflict of interest when she is on the agenda, but can't find anything.

I would first note that unless your bylaws provide otherwise, the VP becomes President (no "acting" about it) in the event of a vacancy.

The President/Vice President should relinquish the chair during the portions of the meeting which relate to the potential removal of the President/Vice President, but the President/Vice President would be free to preside over other portions of the meeting.

"Whenever a motion is made that refers only to the presiding officer in a capacity not shared in common with other members, or that commends or censures him with others, he should turn the chair over to the vice-president or appropriate temporary occupant (see below) during the assembly’s consideration of that motion, just as he would in a case where he wishes to take part in debate (see also 43:29–30). The chair, however, should not hesitate to put the question on a motion to elect officers or appoint delegates or a committee even if he is included." RONR (12th ed.) 47:10

3 hours ago, Guest JNH said:

Under any Robert's Rules, can she still chair the meeting? 

I'm going to agree with Mr. Martin n part and disagree with him in part.  He is right when he says the  presiding officer should turn the chair over to the vice-president or someone else in a situation such as this, but RONR seems to make it plain that this is a "should" rule, not a "must" rule, and that the chair may refuse to relinquish the chair unless he is removed from presiding pursuant to the  provisions in 62:10 - 62:12 in RONR (12th ed.).  I do not see anything in RONR that actually requires the presiding to vacate the chair in this situation unless the formal disciplnary process of RONR is being utilized.

The rules could be suspended to remove the president from the chair.

I shall agree with Mr. Brown and will note that under RONR "The Chair, however, should not hesitate to put the question a motion to elect officer ...even if he is included(47:10)."  I am not even sure if the president vacating the chair would be a "should" rule.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.