The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion after executive session

Guest Evelyn

56 minutes ago, Guest Evelyn said:

Can a board member come out of executive session and put a motion on the floor from discussion in executive session

Nothing in RONR would prohibit it, but he just needs to be careful not to divulge what was discussed in the executive session, unless the secrecy of that session was lifted.  

Edited by George Mervosh

1 hour ago, Guest Evelyn said:

Can a board member come out of executive session and put a motion on the floor from discussion in executive session

Yes, and in fact it is I think height way to do it , because if there are no decisions made at the executive session  you also do not needcto make minutes see

https://robertsrules.forumflash.com/topic/36804-executive-session-minutes

2 hours ago, Guest Puzzling said:

Yes, and in fact it is I think height way to do it , because if there are no decisions made at the executive session  you also do not needcto make minutes see

https://robertsrules.forumflash.com/topic/36804-executive-session-minutes

Well, hold on a bit.

While I quite agree with Mr. Mervosh that this may be done, there is no reason under the rules in RONR that it necessarily must or should be done this way. It certainly would also be proper to make the motion in executive session instead, unless there is something in the organization's rules or applicable law providing otherwise in this matter.

Further, while it is correct that minutes need not be taken of the executive session if no decisions are made within the executive session, I do not agree that the assembly should avoid making decisions in executive session for this reason.

Edited by Josh Martin

I agree with Mr. Martin that taking a vote (or votes) on something considered in executive session after the executive session ends is not necessarily the best way to do it. Although doing it that way has the advantage of possibly not having to have separate minutes of the executive session, there are also reasons why votes might be taken while still in executive session rather than after coming out of executive session. There is no “right way“ of doing it. Each method has its advantages and disadvantages and the best way of handling it likely depends upon the circumstances. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.