The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Interpretation

R.S.M

Our rules in the Bylaws on Probationary Members being voted on for regular active membership reads " The Probationary Member shall be elected to Regular Active Membership by secret ballot vote, a majority of those Regular Active Members and Life Members present and eligible to vote being necessary to elect." There were 13 members present and eligible to vote, of the 13 only 11 voted and the vote was 6 for and 5 against which based on the language above the member did not receive the majority. The way I interpret the rule is it takes a majority of 13 members to pass not a majority of 11 who voted. Thoughts on interpretation

8 minutes ago, R.S.M said:

Our rules in the Bylaws on Probationary Members being voted on for regular active membership reads " The Probationary Member shall be elected to Regular Active Membership by secret ballot vote, a majority of those Regular Active Members and Life Members present and eligible to vote being necessary to elect." There were 13 members present and eligible to vote, of the 13 only 11 voted and the vote was 6 for and 5 against which based on the language above the member did not receive the majority. The way I interpret the rule is it takes a majority of 13 members to pass not a majority of 11 who voted. Thoughts on interpretation

I think you're right.

3 minutes ago, R.S.M said:

I agree.  Based on the rather unusual and very specific wording of your bylaws, my interpretation is that it would have required 7 yes votes to be elected to active membership.  Ultimately, however, it is up to the members of your organization to interpret its bylaws.  If the membership does not like the current threshold, it should amend the bylaws accordingly.

4 minutes ago, Richard Brown said:

I agree.  Based on the rather unusual and very specific wording of your bylaws, my interpretation is that it would have required 7 yes votes to be elected to active membership.  Ultimately, however, it is up to the members of your organization to interpret its bylaws.  If the membership does not like the current threshold, it should amend the bylaws accordingly.

The wording in my opinion needs changed but I was thinking that it was the majority of 13.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.