The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Consent Calendar usage

Alfred

I think there are at least 2 problems with this statement from our ME about the Consent Calendar she put on our meeting agenda. We have not edited the Annual Minutes yet. Thoughts?

"You will note in the consent calendar the minutes and financials that were already reviewed via email, the personnel changes, approved reimbursement, and 2 motions completed over email between meetings.  Only one motion is needed to approve all of those items and it can be a motion with edits to the minutes within the motion if need be and that singular motion can be amended as needed, but only one motion is needed.

·         These items are still listed in the agenda for clear designation in the proper place in the agenda and minutes as appropriate but noted as being a part of the consent calendar so that we may skip over them during the meeting as we come to them without confusion, no further motion needed."

The fact that an item of business is on a consent calendar does not change the way the item is handled; it merely advances the hour at which an item of business comes up at the meeting.  Similarly, the fact that an item of business is on a consent calendar with other items does not prevent any single member from demanding that the item be handled separately from the other items that will be handled together.

3 hours ago, Alfred said:

I think there are at least 2 problems with this statement from our ME about the Consent Calendar she put on our meeting agenda.

What  is an "ME"?   Medical Examiner????  "Meeting Expert"???   What role does this person play in your meetings and/or the preparation of the agenda?

Edited to add:  Also, what type organization is this?  Is it by chance a public body of some sort, such as a city council, school board, zoning board, etc?

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last paragraph

Sorry...

I am recently new to this Board and we have a new Managing Executive. (ME)

Our Organization is Kona Mansions V Association of Apartment Owners. (KMV AOAO)

1. A special rule to have a Consent Calendar is required? 

2. If an item needs discussion or amending why add it ? Is it not removed if individual action is required?  Making a motion to amend within is defeating the purpose of a Consent Calendar?

3. Annual Meeting Minutes (always held in March) are adopted at the next meeting and then again at the following Annual Meeting? Is this proper proceedure?

4. Treasurers Report needs a Motion to adopt?

Thank you for any information and enlightenment.

Alfred

1. If the established order of business does not include a consent calendar, a special rule of order would be required to create one.

2. A single member can demand that an item of business be removed from the consent calendar and reassigned to its regular place in the order of business for further debate and amendment.

3. No, a committee should be authorized to approve the minutes.  The minutes should not be left to be approved a year later.

4. If the treasurer's report is going to be published, a motion to adopt the report is proper.  However, if the report is not going to be published, there is no need for the assembly to adopt the report; rather, the report would be submitted for information only.

5. If you are a new member of the executive board, you need to acquire a copy of Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised, RONR (12th ed.).  You are simply not going to be able to properly participate in meetings unless you acquire a working knowledge of parliamentary procedure.  And, finally, we're here to help, so bookmark this website. 😊

5 hours ago, Alfred said:

Annual Meeting Minutes (always held in March) are adopted at the next meeting and then again at the following Annual Meeting? Is this proper proceedure?

Is the "next meeting" also a meeting of the membership? If so, and if it's within a "quarterly time interval" of the annual meeting, then the next meeting can approve the annual meeting minutes. If the members only meet once a year and the "next meeting" is of the executive board, then you should adopt a motion at the annual meeting creating a committee to approve the minutes or delegating that authority to the executive board.

13 minutes ago, Rob Elsman said:

If you are a new member of the executive board, you need to acquire a copy of Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised, RONR (12th ed.).

I would suggest that you start with Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised - In Brief. That is a better introduction.

Thank you. I have used Robert's Rules of Order for quite a few years and I even keep current Robert's for Dummies. I queried this Parliamentary page because of the greater knowledge than I have. I am new to an AOAO Board and the differences from my experience are puzzling. Robert's interpretation I read was Consent Calendars are generally not used by HOA'S or AOAO'S. And if they were used the content was items that needed no discussion or amendment. If they needed to be addressed then any member would request the particular item to be separated from the Consent Calendar.

So my round about question was why would we add an item that required singilar attention too defeating the purpose of a Consent Calendar?

Thank you, my previous years of experience everyone knew what they were doing we worked in unison and specialized in different areas. A great team. We always had an International Representative and Parliamentarian we could turn to if needed. This new experience is a bit dysfunctional and I am trying to bring order but not be disruptive to the process of business. Volunteers don't want to be too involved it would seem but I take my commitment to heart.

Thank you very much.

Alfred

Alfred, I don't think there is anything "dysfunctional" going on here.  Someone asked this item of business be placed on the consent calendar.  Fine enough.  At the meeting, a member who wishes full consideration with debate and amendment will rise.  The chair will ask for what purpose the member rises.  The member will say he demands this item of business to be taken off the consent calendar.  The chair will state that a member has demanded the item be taken off the consent calendar and will be considered during [whatever class of business applies].  This is all completely proper.  Don't worry about it.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.