The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Standing Committee Motions

Tomm

I'm a little confused as to whether a motion made by a Standing Committee member requires a "second" in pretty much all instances!?!?

51:11 seems to indicate that no "second" is required if the Committee report was read by the secretary or reporting clerk.

4:11 also indicates that no "second" is required if more there was more than one member of the Committee.

Question: Would it be correct that no recommending motions made by a member of a Standing, or any other Committee, requires a "second" because more than one person from within the Committee has already approved the motion? 

I understand that if the recommended motion were amended after its initial presentation then a "second" would be required!?!?! 

1 hour ago, Tomm said:

Question: Would it be correct that no recommending motions made by a member of a Standing, or any other Committee, requires a "second" because more than one person from within the Committee has already approved the motion? 

In general, so long as the committee has at least 2 members who are also members of the assembly.

1 hour ago, Tomm said:

I understand that if the recommended motion were amended after its initial presentation then a "second" would be required!?!?! 

Well, the reporting member says "By direction of the committee, I move that the clubhouse be painted red." Now, if someone wants to change it to blue, they would move to amend by striking red and inserting blue. Assuming the assembly is not a small board, that will require a second. Do I have what you're asking right?

On 4/23/2021 at 9:05 PM, Joshua Katz said:

... so long as the committee has at least 2 members who are also members of the assembly.

It's not necessary that they be members of the assembly.  [§4:11]

... at least two assembly members or elected or appointed persons to whose opinion the assembly is presumed to give weight regarding the board’s or committee’s concerns.     [emphasis added]

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.