The Official RONR Q & A Forums

In-Camera Sessions

Guest F.Poone

Does the Board of Directors of a Condominium Corporation have to make a Motion to enter into and exit from an In-Camera Session? 

Does this Motion have to be Minuted in the Minutes of the Regular Meeting?

What details are to be given when recording the Motion?

1 hour ago, Guest F.Poone said:

Does the Board of Directors of a Condominium Corporation have to make a Motion to enter into and exit from an In-Camera Session? 

Generally speaking, yes. I suppose an organization could have a rule that all meetings, or specified parts of a meeting, are held in executive session, and if so, a formal motion might not be necessary. But that would be unusual. And in any event, it often is done by unanimous consent.

Does this Motion have to be Minuted in the Minutes of the Regular Meeting?

If it is a Main Motion (which it amost certainly will be), yes. All main motion (except those that were withdrawn) are entered in the minutes.

What details are to be given when recording the Motion?

As with all main motions, the name of the mover (unless you have a special rule of order that the maker's name will not be recorded). the exact working of the motion as it stood immediately before the vote, and the result of the vote.

I sense that you may be concerned about having the minutes of the open session revealing matter that should be kept confidential. The way to make sure that doesn't happen is to not include that information in the motion. As far as motions that are made during the executive session, they are recoded in the minutes of that session, which are maintained separately from the minutes of the open session.

3 minutes ago, Hieu H. Huynh said:

RONR does not require it but your rules might.

I believe my previous answer is more accurate. See RONR 9:24:

A meeting enters into executive session only when required by rule or established custom, or upon the adoption of a motion to do so

(Emphasis added.)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.