The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Dissolving a board (previously posted under "Abandon meetings")

Guest David

• Shmuel Gerber changed the title to Dissolving a board (previously posted under "Abandon meetings")
10 hours ago, Guest David said:

Can a board be dissolved when a scheduled meeting is not called to order.  Can a new board then be put in place?

If there is a valid method of "dissolving" the board, then the board's failure to call a scheduled meeting to order might be cited as the rationale for doing so. However, if you are referring to the incident discussed and shown from the viewpoint at https://knst.iheart.com/featured/garret-lewis/content/2021-04-27-vail-school-board-flees-parents-elect-new-board-vote-to-end-mask-mandate/ then you should know that there is nothing in Robert's Rules of Order to suggest that a new board was validly elected. That episode was quite ludicrous from a procedural perspective.

22 minutes ago, Shmuel Gerber said:

you should know that there is nothing in Robert's Rules of Order to suggest that a new board was validly elected. That episode was quite ludicrous from a procedural perspective.

Wow! That was wild! I hope we can find and read the follow up news reports!

2 hours ago, Shmuel Gerber said:

you should know that there is nothing in Robert's Rules of Order to suggest that a new board was validly elected.

Agreeing with Mr. Gerber, the only relevant reference I could find in RONR was on p. v

Edited by Atul Kapur

It appears that they are publicly elected.  Even if all the members resigned, there is likely statutory requirements for filling vacancies, that does involve people showing up and declaring themselves the electorate.  RONR notes that a procedural rule of law will supersede the requirements of RONR and that any action in violation of those rules is null and void (23:6, c.).

A body may adjourn if in cases of safety (8:10) which might be applicable.

Agreeing with Mr. Gerber, Mr. Brown and Dr. Kapur, unless statute (or a bylaw) permits a mob to show up declare themselves the electorate, this is quite ludicrous.

1 hour ago, Guest Zev said:

If I am not mistaken, RONR says nothing about who is the ultimate sovereign over the school children in Vail, Colorado. I think it wise to stay out of that dispute.

Indeed, RONR does not say anything that would give the right to an impromptu public gathering in the lobby at the announced location of a public school-board meeting to elect new board members. Yet the person leading the "meeting" can be heard on the video claiming several times that Robert's Rules of Order gave the assemblage the power to do that. And I don't think there is actually any legitimate dispute as to the validity of that "election," which seemed to me more in the nature of a protest.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.